IROAST International Advisory Board Meeting held on March 18-19, 2019
On March 18th and 19th, 2019, the International Research Organization for Advanced Science and Technology (IROAST)*1 held its international advisory board meeting at Kumamoto University. The advisory board consists of overseas university faculty and administration members who provide valuable perspectives on joint international research, the identification and fostering of leading research personnel, and institutional management. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the board’s advice on the development of young researchers participating in IROAST research support programs, the establishment of international collaborative research, and to reflect on the management of IROAST and its ability to achieve its goals: to strengthen leading international research in science and technology, to promote and expand international joint research, and to discover and foster leading researchers at Kumamoto University.
On the morning of the first day, IROAST Director Takashi Hiyama reported on the research activities IROAST has been engaged in since its establishment to the three advisory board members, Professor Kwan Yun Lee, Dr. Anne Gellert, and Professor Jorge Beltramini.*2 The board members asked questions on a wide range of topics, such as research achievement evaluation, international joint research progress, and educational approach, and exchanged views with IROAST’s director and vice-director. In the afternoon, five IROAST researchers, Professor Mitsuhiro Aida, Associate Professor Atsushi Sainoki, Assistant Professor Takashi Ishida, Professor Armand T. Quitain, and Associate Professor Kumon, presented their research and fielded questions from the board members. The board then provided useful suggestions for future research.
On the second day, the board gave detailed suggestions and comments based on the previous day’s findings about the future management and organization of IROAST, and exchanged ideas with Director Hiyama and Vice-Director Otani. The meeting is expected to greatly contribute to the future operation of IROAST.*3
The three board members also met with President Shinji Harada and the university trustee in charge of research and social-academic collaboration, Dr. Yasumichi Matsumoto. They had a meaningful discussion on several matters, particularly the globalization of Kumamoto University and the strengthening of research capabilities.
IROAST will reflect on the advisory board’s helpful feedback and endeavor to make the organization more attractive and open to the world by focusing on its unique strengths.
IROAST International Advisory Board Members
- Dr Anne Gellert, Director, International Office, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf, Germany
- Dr Kwan Yun Lee, Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Baylor University, USA
- Dr Jorge Beltramini, A/Professor-Senior Research Fellow, The Nanomaterials Centre– NANOMAC–AIBN, University of Queensland, Australia; IROAST Visiting Professor
IROAST Director and Vice-Director
- Takashi Hiyama, Director, IROAST; Distinguished Professor, Priority Organization for Innovation and Excellence
- Jun Otani, Vice-Director, IROAST; Professor, Faculty of Advanced Science and Technology
*3 IROAST received comments from the IROAST advisory board on the following six topics:
1. Tenure-track based development of young excellent researchers
2. Promotion of international "brain circulation"
3. Configuration of international joint research networks
5. Acquisition of external funds
6. Operation and management of IROAST
|Director Hiyama reporting on IROAST activities||IROAST researcher introducing his research|
|Prof. Beltramini||Prof. Lee||Dr. Gellert|
|Board members giving comments|
|Courtesy visit to President Harada and Trustee Matsumoto|